Tinseltown in the rain...14 Oct 09


It’s strange how a place can have such a significant effect on your psyche. I’ve been back from holidays for 4 weeks now and yet whilst I truly enjoyed the week we spent in Oahu (Waikiki Beach, Waimea and the North Shore), I feel I have left part of myself in West Hollywood (LA). Whilst I have been anticipating a great celebration of 5 years with my better half, I feel a strange darkness over me and have a niggling feeling that I may have missed a trick...
My oldest friend Pete said to me, after an 18 year break between beers, ‘I’ve been looking out for you on TV and in the movies – I fully expected to see you up there....’
That was a statement I had not expected and was, as you can imagine, a shock... because I guess, secretly, that might have been where I was hoping to be...
As a Midshipman (Officer Cadet) on HMS BRAZEN in the Dartmouth Training Squadron, some 16 years ago, we were alongside in East India Docks in London. At every port of call, we were obliged to hold a Cocktail Party in best bib and tucker – and you can imagine the level of enthusiasm we all felt at this very ‘different’ activity, which was foreign to working class boys like me. Anyway, at the party, I was talking to a very pleasant middle aged lady in a wheel-chair. She really was absolutely charming and I was probably speaking with her for far too long – but I guess she was just good company. I don’t remember her name, but seems she was a stage Director and bizarrely she seemed to be both very enthusiastic and excited by me.
She gave me her mobile number before the end of the party and asked me to meet her for lunch the next day, to discuss a quite real opportunity she wanted to offer me in a Play she was casting in the West End. I have no recollection what the play was and needless to say that little old (risk-averse) me was totally terrified at the prospect of leaving the Royal Navy after just 8 months – particularly when it had been my longest employment period in any one job really since college 3 years before...
I didn’t go.
I didn’t call to apologise.
Figuratively (Ironically), I may have just ‘missed the boat’!
Now I have neither the looks or practiced skills or talent to be the next (what...) George Clooney? Okay! Whatever you say!? Boris Karloff? Divine? Regardless, as far as I know, that is not why I miss LA so damn much. I just feel I should be there. Quite honestly, I’d shovel shit and kiss ass for $8 an hour and a chance at a Green Card...
I love New York, I love my better half in Paris, but damn, LA is breaking my heart...