Waking the dead... 15 Oct 09


I have this friend who is actually my ex from some years ago. When I met him, I was in a mess and he saved me – but I was a total shit to him. He did make up for it later however. AT the time, I had just discovered myself and was quite honestly like a dog with two dicks. Anyway, this friend of mine – and we are friends surprisingly after such a stormy affair – he lives in my house - as I have to live away, where I work (currently Kent).
My friend works in the ‘Care’ industry and works bloody hard for not a shit-load of money. In fact that’s pretty much why he lives at mine – cheap rent, independence and security for my otherwise empty property.
My friend also talks incessantly. When I was with him, he would telephone from work and transmit for 40 minutes at a time. I used to put the phone on the mantelpiece, go about my cleaning or chores and occasionally say ‘yes’ or ‘really’ into the phone to make him think I was listening. He must have thought I was an opinion-less oaf because the last part of his transmission would invariably involve him asking what I thought. My default answer was basically variations of ‘Hmmm, I’m not really sure... yes? Or maybe no?’
I actually have to wonder if he breathes through his bum, because I have yet to hear him pause during a transmission to breathe through his mouth or nose. Or perhaps he is an Alien ‘Thing’ type creature who survives through photosynthesis or metabolises through his skin. It doesn’t really matter, because he’s my friend regardless.
Anyway, when I would meet this friend in town say, he would be on the mobile talking at me right up until he could speak to me directly. I was fucked for conversation from then on as personally, I just haven’t got that much to say...
So back to my friends conversation with those who have passed. I noticed last night on facebook he had put,‘Goodbye Nan I love you x’ which I thought was a little odd. From the comments below from his 146+ friends list, it would seem his Nan has died. Mine all died between the ages of 9 and 23, so I was both upset but, not well equipped to deal with such things at the time. However, my grief was pretty private.
I suspect that my friend doesn’t for a moment think that his sadly passed Nan has access to Facebook from Heaven, which leaves me wondering why he would choose to announce his Nans death to the 187+ (it’s been ten minutes and the numbers are always growing) friends of which probably 185 have never met her, in such a peculiarly public manner... but there you go...
I will now think, ‘Sorry for your loss pal’ across the spiritual highway in a hope he can 'privately' accept my condolences. I’m sure he would never desire a huge out-pouring on Facebook....